The Evangelical Free Church of Bemidji is seeking a part-time Music Director to oversee the musical aspects of the 10:45 Contemporary Worship Service as part of the church’s discipleship mission of becoming fully devoted followers of Jesus together.
a. Character and Doctrine:
- The Music Director shall be a person who exhibits and models godly character and a teachable spirit consistent with their profession of faith in Jesus Christ (1 Tim 4:12; 2 Pet 1:5-8; 1 Jn 2:3-6). He or she is expected to minister in a manner consistent with the qualifications of a deacon as listed in 1 Timothy 3:8-13.
- The Music Director must be in agreement with our church’s Statement of Faith and must abide by the Constitution and By-Laws of the Evangelical Free Church of Bemidji. He or she will need to be a member of the church or complete the membership process within 90 days of hire.
An undergraduate degree in music, worship ministry or a related field is strongly desired. Applicants currently pursuing a degree in one of these fields will be considered.
- Preferred 3+ years of experience of oversight and leading music in a ministry context.
- Can demonstrate the necessary vocal and instrumental skills (e.g., acoustic guitar and/or piano/keyboard) needed to lead congregational singing.
- Can demonstrate a mature ability to work with other church staff, leaders and members, and can provide healthy oversight of a volunteer team.
- Has sufficient working knowledge of musical performance and sound equipment (e.g., microphones, monitors, stage equipment) and worship ministry technology (e.g., ProPresenter 7).
Oversee the musical aspects of the 10:45 Contemporary Worship Service as part of the church’s discipleship mission of becoming fully devoted followers of Jesus together.
- Responsible to the Associate Pastor and report occasionally to the Elder Board.
- Initial performance review after 90 days followed by an annual performance review conducted by the Associate Pastor.
- Work 13-15 hours per week, of which at least 3 hours will be on Sundays and at least 3 hours will be at the weekly worship team practice. A maximum of 4 to 6 unpaid Sundays off will be granted per year.
- Participate in quarterly Worship Committee meetings.
Song Selection and Preparation
- Oversee the weekly music selection for congregational singing, prelude and postlude music, and any special music for the weekly 10:45 Contemporary Worship Service in collaboration with the pastoral staff.
- Select music that engages and invites the gathered church (both on-site and online) to worship through songs that are congregationally singable, biblically faithful and theologically accurate (Col 3:16). Song selection should also take into account thematic fit with the sermon, the cultural context, and musical arrangement appropriate to the skill level of the musicians and vocalists.
- Be familiar with and follow all relevant copyright laws and requirements covered by the church’s CCLI and CVLI licenses.
- Organize, manage and purchase as needed all sheet music and worship ministry equipment in coordination with other staff and volunteers.
- Perform other related duties as requested by the pastoral staff.
Worship Team Development and Oversight
- Help to cultivate an atmosphere of joyful, reverent worship with our Contemporary Worship Service teams so they can invite the congregation to worship in spirit and truth (Ps 95:1-2; John 4:23-24).
- Oversee the recruitment, auditioning, selection and skill development of all Contemporary Worship Service musicians and vocalists (Ps 33:3).
- Collaborate with the Audio/Visual Supervisor for all music-related audio-visual needs (e.g., equipment, sound, lighting, presentation, video). Assist with any setup and teardown at the weekly worship team practice and/or before and after the 10:45 Contemporary Worship Service.
- Serve on a regular rotation and as needed as the band leader for the 10:45 Contemporary Worship teams.
- Introduce new music and recommend necessary improvements or changes to the 10:45 Contemporary Worship ministry at a pace that promotes growth and progress but allows for easy adoption by the congregation and worship team.
- Maintain a friendly partnership with all staff and volunteers, including the 8:30 Traditional Worship Service musicians.
Other Ministries and Events
Assisting with special services (e.g., Good Friday, Christmas Eve, Weddings, Funerals) or other ministry programming (e.g., Sunday School, Formation Groups) may be requested on occasion, but participation is optional and is not expected as part of the job responsibilities.