The Senior Pastor will shepherd and provide leadership to Grand Rapids Evangelical Free Church.
2. CHARACTER QUALIFICATIONS and CALL
A. A clear testimony of faith in Jesus Christ.
B. Consistent spiritual and moral character and lifestyle, fulfilling the biblical leadership qualifications of an elder described in I Timothy 3:1-7; Titus 1:5-9; Ephesians 4: 11-16; 1 Peter 5:1-4
C. If married, his wife should support his call to serve this church and actively seek to develop good interpersonal relationships with the church body and community.
D. Articulate a clear call to vocational ministry which is validated by others
E. Agreement with the doctrinal statement of the Evangelical Free Church of America and the mission statement and core values of the Grand Rapids Evangelical Free Church.
A. Competent in Bible teaching and preaching
B. Has demonstrated abilities in organization and administration
C. Able to connect with people and develop healthy interpersonal relationships
D. Approachable as a spiritual leader with a heart to shepherd the congregation
E. Clear evidence of fruitfulness stemming from previous leadership roles within the Church and Christian Community
F. Adequate skills and education for the position
G. Properly ordained or willing to pursue ordination within the Evangelical Free Church of America denomination
Have primary responsibility for the teaching and sustaining of biblical doctrines of this church, equipping God’s people for ministry and leading by example.
A. Pastoral duties
1) Preach and teach the Word of God regularly with contagious enthusiasm
2) Administer the ordinances i.e., communion and baptism
3) Provide general pastoral care and nurture
B. Leadership duties
1) Provide overall vision and leadership to Grand Rapids Evangelical Free Church in line with our mission
2) Work with the leadership teams to organize, develop, and sustain the ministry of Grand Rapids Evangelical Free Church
3) Willingness to align with GREFC Discipleship Pathway
4) Oversee the process of evaluating and aligning of all Church ministries within the broader vision of the Church
5) Develop leaders by mentoring, discipling, and modeling Christ
6) Foster a strong working relationship with the leadership team of the North Central EFCA District.
C. Management duties
1) Shall oversee and provide appropriate leadership with the Elders to the pastoral, administrative, and secretarial staff.
2) Attend and provide a pastoral report at Leadership and Congregational meetings.
D. Kingdom duties
1) Represent Christ’s church to the community.
2) Provide ministry to the broader body of Christ.
3) Build relationships and network with Senior Pastors within the North Central EFCA District and other likeminded Pastors within the community.
A. The Senior Pastor is accountable to the Elder Board
B. The Senior Pastor shall be considered as a “first among equals” among the Elders
C. This position description will be reviewed annually, or more often by request, by the Elder Board
D. The Senior Pastor will be encouraged to attend personal and professional development conferences
E. A spiritual mentor or peer, for accountability and encouragement, is required
About this Church
GREFC is a growing body of believers with a clear vision of living with purpose by:
• Building a COMMUNITY that loves everyone deeply.
• Developing PERSONAL RELATIONSHIPS that lead others closer to Jesus.
• Equipping each GENERATION to follow Jesus and become disciple-makers.
GREFC is an evangelical Christian church and a Jesus-centered community of people in Grand Rapids, Minnesota who show love and care for each other, the greater Grand Rapids area, and the world. We belong to the Evangelical Free Church of America (EFCA), but people from many faith backgrounds, even no faith background, call this place their church family.
We value deep love for one another, honor biblical teaching, and place a high priority on making disciple-makers. We love and follow Jesus and desire to make him known to the whole world.