The Big Picture
The First Evangelical Free Church is a historic, Jesus-loving urban church of 200, seeking a spiritually gifted Senior Pastor who has a drive and vision to direct an ethnically and philosophically diverse, urban congregation and is undaunted by the challenges within both the church and the city.
The Senior Pastor should be a spiritually-gifted person who:
- Has a drive and vision to direct an ethnically and philosophically diverse, urban congregation and is undaunted by the challenges within both the church and the city
- Is willing to, with God’s grace, minister to the multicultural fabric of our surrounding neighborhood, including the established LGBTQ+ community
- Teach and preach with a Scripturally-centered ethos, creating exegetically-sound messages with deft analogies that help our congregation envision God’s call for us in a post-modern urban mission while attending to the discipleship of the faithful
- Feels a calling to help foster a unified church body in a challenging era - through relationships, team-building and leadership development throughout all areas of the church
- Is passionate about and affirms the calling of women in leadership positions throughout the church
- Provides vision and direction for a strategic discipling and mentoring process wherein women are equipped to fill these roles
We desire a candidate to have the following:
- A minimum of three years of full-time responsibilities in pastoral ministries, preferably in an urban environment
- Demonstrated experience, gifting and passion for revitalizing an urban church
- Proven leadership in overseeing a congregation of 100-300+ people
- Past experience in mobilizing a church in evangelistic outreach
- Ideally the candidate would have a Master of Divinity from an accredited seminary
- Ordained, or willing to pursue ordination, as a pastor by the Evangelical Free Church of America
- Meets the biblical qualifications of a pastor and has a strong commitment to the authority and application of Scripture
- Possessive of a compassionate, visionary, mentoring and collaborative spirit
- Demonstrates consistent Christ-like character and engaged in personal accountability
- Why do you believe that you might be a good fit for First Free?
- Describe your experiences in ministry and how you may be qualified to serve as the Senior Pastor at First Free?
- In just a few sentences please give a summary of your theology and how that is in line with the doctrinal statement of First Free?
Please send your resume and the answers to these questions to Jason@LancasterSearch.com
About this Church
First Evangelical Free Church (First Free) is an historic, Jesus-loving urban church located on the north side of Chicago in the Edgewater neighborhood. Organized in 1880, First Free has a long history of sharing our faith and meeting community needs. Over the years, we have been an incubator for many mission ventures that resulted in sending out hundreds of leaders to serve locally and globally. We believe God has strategically placed us in a culturally, socially and economically diverse location in the heart of Andersonville, between Uptown and Rogers Park. This presents us with many opportunities to serve our community. Likewise, we are an ethnically and philosophically diverse group of people united in Christ and our commitment to bring the life-changing message of Jesus Christ to our neighborhood, greater Chicago, and beyond.