Above all, the Pastor must meet the biblical qualifications for the position of Pastor/Elder, including those in 1 Peter 5:1-4, Titus 1:5-9 and I Timothy 3:1-10. We acknowledge that these qualifications are not exhaustive, however they are a minimal requirement for the position.
To ensure that our Pastor is competent in the above areas, the candidate is required to have:
- Obtained a Master’s degree from an accredited seminary
- 5+ years of experience as an associate pastor and/or lead pastor, or comparable ministry or life experience
Job Description - Overview
Our pastor will shepherd the congregation in these three areas:
a. Expository preaching of the Scriptures during Sunday Services
b. Teach the Scriptures through mentoring, counseling, and other ministries in the church as time allows
c. Maintain sound doctrine through personal study of the Scriptures
a. Prioritize prayer in the lives of church members individually and corporately
b. Pursue the Church’s mission and cast its vision
c. Develop and implement a strategy for evangelism and discipleship
d. Oversee the church staff
e. Provide guidance as needed to the Elders concerning church business and spiritual concerns within the church
a. Provide pastoral care for the congregation. Examples: conflict resolution, visiting the sick/shut-ins, counseling for the bereaved, visitor follow up. If he is not able to perform the visitations, he should delegate this to others
b. Perform weddings, funerals, baptisms, baby dedications
Job Description - Details
- Counseling: He should be available during the day; otherwise, for emergencies only. Amount of time spent counseling and manner of counseling should be at the discretion of the elders.
- Ministry Hours: This will vary depending on experience and various busy times of the year. A 45-50 hour work week on average should be expected.
- Study Time: He should be spending the necessary time seeking the Lord in prayer and studying Scripture and other materials in preparation for the primary roles of preaching and teaching the members. Amount of time spent will vary depending on experience and circumstances.
- Time Off: He is encouraged to take time off during the week for personal rest and family. The church will strive to protect this time. 1 or 2 days off per week can be expected depending on circumstances. Paid vacation will be included with the compensation package.
- Continuing Education: He will be an active participant and supporter of the EFCA. Attendances at other conferences, retreats, seminars, and so on is also encouraged as time and finances permit. There is an annual budgeted amount for this covered by the church.
- Compensation and Benefits: This is a salaried position; pay and benefits will vary based on experience and financial need of the candidate.
Personal Skills and Gifts
We believe the Fruits of the Spirit must be evident in the Pastoral candidate as a mark of a mature believer. It is also important for the Pastor to be personable, passionate, forthright, organized, and communicate well. We recognize that God has given each person unique spiritual gifts. It is expected that the Pastor will use his gifts for the edification of the church through his pastoral duties and church volunteer work as time allows. Our preference is for a candidate with the spiritual gifts of shepherding, teaching, and administration.
Role of Pastor’s Wife
She must be committed to her husband being in the ministry. Additional priorities are to support and encourage her husband, and care for her children. She should involve herself in ministry as any other member.
About this Church
Riverside Church is located in Mayville, North Dakota, between two small towns with a combined population of 2400 people, in eastern North Dakota. Mayville is home to a small four-year college. The biggest industry is farming. Mayville is about a 45-minute drive from both Grand Forks and Fargo, North Dakota.
At Riverside, our mission is to grow reproducing disciples of Jesus Christ, for God’s glory. Our vision is for every family within 25 miles of our church building to clearly hear and experience the gospel of Jesus Christ. Our typical Sunday morning attendance is about 80 – 120 people (post-Covid). One of our church’s strengths is our reliance on teaching God’s Truth in Scripture. Another strength is our youth ministry programs, from the Awana program up through high school and college ministries. We see opportunities for growth in our small groups and in our ministries to the elderly.