We are looking for a pastor to shepherd our congregation and work collaboratively with elders, staff, and ministry leaders. An ideal candidate will be engaging, friendly, caring and prayerfully shape an environment where the fruit of God's Spirit may flourish. Key qualifications for this position are a deep commitment to God's Word, experience in training and mentoring staff and elected officers, and enthusiasm for growing our church body.
• Master of Divinity, preferred
• Five+ years of pastoral ministry with preaching experience
• Experience with guiding pastoral and administrative staff
• Strong cross-generational, written and interpersonal communication skills
• Proven leadership development experience
• Strong organizational skills
• Strategic problem-solving/decision-making
General Senior Pastor responsibilities include, and are not limited to the following:
PROVIDES SPIRITUAL LEADERSHIP
• Primary preaching pastor able to effectively communicate Biblical principles intent on reaching the lost and to spiritually grow the congregation
• Works with worship ministry team to develop an inspiring and meaningful worship service
• Encourages stewardship and world mission support
• Lead and teach Bible studies
• Member of the Church Leadership Team
PROVIDES PASTORAL LEADERSHIP
• Responsible for the oversight and shepherding of the congregation
• Have a heart for, experience with and understanding of Asian-American culture
• Build a church environment to attract and retain new and younger church members
• Mentor and develop the pastoral and administrative staff in their professional and
• Provide counseling to congregants
• Develop relationships with congregants
PROVIDES OUTREACH LEADERSHIP
• Lead the congregation in reaching out to our neighborhood, the local
community and the world for the purpose of bringing more people to know
• Support church missions efforts
PROVIDES ADMINISTRATIVE LEADERSHIP
• Supervise and support the pastoral and administrative staff
• Build a sense of teamwork with the staff, elders, deacons and volunteers
• Support the operational plans and budgets of the church
• Housing allowance
• Medical and dental benefits
• Retirement Plan
$80,000.00 - $100,000.00, per year depending on qualifications, pastoral experience and expertise.
About this Church
Journey Evangelical Church (JEC), previously known as Chinese Presbyterian Church of Orange County, began in 1980 as a church plant of True Light Presbyterian Church, focused on reaching 2nd and 3rd generation American-born Chinese in Orange County. We began with a small group of families who met for worship services at an elementary school in Huntington Beach. The Lord grew our church into a multi-generational congregation, infused with the warmth of being part of His loving family in Christ. In 1994, the church purchased its current campus and moved to Westminster, CA.
Prior to the retirement of our founding pastor, we began expanding our focus to help us reach the unsaved in a rapidly changing society. This led to our symbolic name change to Journey Evangelical Church, an expanded Mission and Vision Statement, contemporary worship services and a continued focus on spiritual
growth, outreach and serving others.
We changed affiliation from PCUSA to ECO, due to a widening divide in core biblical beliefs and interpretation of scripture. In 2019, our leadership struggled with the change in ECO’s Essential Tenants and Confessional Standards and discerned that the EFCA was a better match for us. We became an EFCA church in 2021.