At Grace, we have an active and ethnically diverse student ministry of 7-12 grade students with an attendance of 40-60 youth on a Wednesday night. Most of our youth come from outreach into our community. We also have a growing number of young families in our church body who are eager to disciple their children and grow in their marriages but need equipping and direction.
The Pastor of Family Discipleship will equip parents in the discipleship of their youth and children. He will also provide direct leadership of Grace’s youth ministry and provide oversight to the children’s ministry leaders in order that children and youth might know Christ, become like Him and make Him known. This position will provide vision and shepherding to ensure the continuity of discipleship from birth through high school.
- Spiritually Mature: A vibrant, mature and growing relationship with Jesus Christ as demonstrated by a life that consistently reflects His character and priorities. A humble and teachable spirit, pursuing holiness. Feeds himself spiritually that he might feed others spiritually. (Gal 5:16-24; 1 Tim 3:1-7; 1 Pet 5:1-5; Heb 5:14)
- Biblically Sound: Confident in the handling of God’s Word, with a deepening grasp of its truths. Able to communicate those truths clearly and compellingly with students, parents and volunteers and apply it to their unique needs and challenges. In full agreement with EFCA Statement of Faith and willing to pursue EFCA credentials. (1 Tim 4:11-16; 2 Tim 2:15; Deut 6:4-9)
- Gifted in Crossing Cultures: Given that we are a multicultural community and church, experience making disciples from a variety of ethnic groups is preferred. Gifted in connecting with and building connections between students/families from diverse cultures (Latino, African, Asian, and Caucasian). Understand and respect cultural differences to effectively communicate the gospel and make disciples across cultures. Bilingual is desired. (1 Cor 9:19-23; Eph 3:6)
- Passionately Committed: A genuine love for students and the family and a sense of divine calling to ministry. A passion for unbelievers to come to know Christ. Driven to serve the Lord – joyfully, energetically and faithfully. (2 Tim 1:5-7; Eph 4:11-12; Matt 28:19-20)
- Relationally Inclined: Connects easily and relate well to students, adults and parents in the congregation and the community. Emotionally healthy and sensitive to the needs of others. Friendly, compassionate, tactful, helpful, a team player. (Eph 4:15-16; Jas 1:19; Prov 20:5)
- A Gifted Leader: Able to inspire, give clear direction, mobilize a team, organize resources and execute a plan. Skilled speaker, effective motivator of people, influencing others by word and example to follow Jesus Christ. (2 Tim 2:2; Matt 20:25-28: Eph 4:11-12)
- Education/Experience: Prior youth and/or family ministry experience. Able to demonstrate a strong background in biblical knowledge, youth ministry, family discipleship, teaching and outreach. Must have a bachelor’s degree or comparable training in Biblical studies. A master’s degree is preferred; however, all training and experience will be considered.
- Student Ministry: Develop the disciplemaking ministry to youth that balances winning them to Christ, deepening their faith and equipping them to reach and disciple their peers and the world for Christ.
- Family Ministry: Equip parents and families to be the primary disciplemakers of their children so that God’s Word and a Biblical worldview is learned and lived out in the home and community.
- Team Leadership: Recruit and train teams of disciplemakers for the youth and children’s ministries who will assist with planning and leadership of these ministries and who will disciple youth and children to become disciplemakers through small groups, classroom settings and one-on-one. Develop and lead student leadership team.
- Teach the Word: Oversee and practice a teaching approach that emphasizes the authority of God’s Word and helps youth and children develop a Biblical worldview with an application of Scripture to daily life.
- Shepherding: Shepherd youth at Grace, providing them with spiritual care and counsel while implementing a comprehensive plan to connect with and disciple youth in the schools and community.
- Community Partnerships: Partner with Worthington area youth ministries in reaching our community for Christ.
- Children’s Ministry: Provide vision, oversight and accountability for children’s discipleship team and ministries.
- Preaching: Preach at least 6 times per year and provide leadership in Senior Pastor’s absence.
- Administration: Plan ahead and follow through. Communicate with parents, elders, volunteers and staff effectively and in a timely manner. Coordinate with the church calendar and provide fiscal oversight of the student and children’s ministry budgets. Do all that is necessary to work faithfully and safely with those in our care.
- Team Player: Support the vision and values of Grace. Be interwoven in the life of the body of Christ at Grace. Work closely with the Senior Pastor toward common goals. Be accountable to the Senior Pastor and Elders.
Division of Time:
50% - Leading Youth Ministry
40% - Discipling/Training Parents
5% - Overseeing Children’s Ministry
5% - Preaching
Base/Cash Salary: $50,000-60,000
• Variable based upon: experience, education, ordination, etc.
• Retirement contribution starting at 2%:
• Expense (mileage, meals, phone): $200/mo = $2400/yr
• Continuing Ed: $1000/yr
Philosophy of Ministry
Grace Community Church
Attn: Scott Barber
PO Box 61
Worthington, MN 56187
About this Church
Grace Community Church is a growing multi-ethnic church located in Worthington, MN, a thriving, diverse community in SW Minnesota. Our focus is helping people from all nations to know Christ, become like Him, and make Him known. We seek to do this through multiplying disciples, multiplying leaders and multiplying churches. Our community of 15,000 people has the highest percentage of minorities in the state of Minnesota; the world is at our door. We are a ministry context that is both rural and urban or “rurban” as we like to say.