Wellspring Church exists to connect people to Christ by making disciples and growing with them to serve and glorify God. In pursuit of this mission, we are equally committed to reaching the unbelieving with the love and truth of Jesus and cultivating spiritual growth and maturity in his followers. The Family Ministries Pastor fulfills this mission by leading discipleship strategies from birth through high school. This includes:
● Creating opportunities for the next generation to know, love and follow Jesus.
● Encouraging and equipping parents to be spiritual leaders.
● Raising up teams and leaders who influence the next generation for Christ.
This full-time position will be more than just a manager. Those with experience in either youth or children’s ministry are encouraged to apply.
Reporting to the Senior Pastor, the Family Ministry Pastor is directly responsible for the development and execution of a comprehensive program for Christian growth of youth and children, ages birth through high school and their families. The position will develop and implement sound biblical teaching, recruit and train youth leaders and provide support systems that will enable Wellspring to reach, disciple and inspire youth and students to live as fully devoted followers of Jesus Christ. The Family Ministries Pastor serves as a spiritual leader and role model in the church and community. The position focuses on, and is directly responsible for, middle and high school ministry and plays a key role in family discipleship, mission and outreach.
Youth Ministry (Middle and High School)
- Plan and execute biblically accurate, culturally relevant and high-energy engagement points for Middle and High School students through weekly programs and routine special events.
- Create and manage a ministry calendar that will drive all the activities and teaching.
- Direct the recruitment, training and development of volunteers as needed to staff weekly programs and special events.
- Promote and participate in camps and conferences for youth and children.
Youth and Family Development
● Develop and expand a vision with a focus on teaching Scripture in a way that demonstrates obedient Christian living at each stage of a member’s walk with Christ.
● Collaborate with the Senior Pastor to ensure that the curriculum at each level of spiritual development flows well into the next.
● Direct responsibility for youth and children’s ministry curriculum with oversight for all other family ministries' curriculum, carefully chosen to align to Biblical standards and the mission and values of Wellspring.
● Promote multi-generational participation in the discipleship process.
● Encourage in-home discipleship and body involvement in the praying for, and raising up of children.
● Shepherding volunteers of youth and children activities, including but not limited to, Children's Church, camps, Sunday School and weekly programming.
- Spiritual Guidance
● Ensure that ministry leaders connect regularly to the homes, families and community represented at Wellspring so that parents experience a clear partnership in the discipleship of their children.
● Minister to and provide wise and godly counsel to families, empowering them to grow in their Christian discipleship through teaching ministries and biblical foundations.
● Plan and conduct periodic parent meetings to meet the needs and expectations of families attending the church.
- Develop effective strategies and lead efforts to increase adult volunteer participation in children and student activities.
- Recruit, train and develop volunteer leadership teams made up of parents and members with a calling to work with children and students.
- Partner with the Senior Pastor to develop training tools to assist children and student leaders with recruiting and training other ministry volunteers.
Visitor and Community Development
- Maintain a strategy for reaching and assimilating new children, youth and families into the broader life of the church.
- Create a strategy to develop an effective social media presence for the ministry. Ensure social media communication is professional and within guidelines set forth by church policy.
- Partner and build relationships with the families and the surrounding community through service to minister to unbelievers and invite them to a relationship with Christ.
- Maintain and enforce all policies related to safe environments including, but not limited to background checks, preventing harassment (sexual and non-sexual), privacy and confidentiality and the like.
- Partner with the Senior Pastor, Elder Board and Church Treasurer to develop an annual budget which supports the youth and children’s ministries.
- Partner and build relationships with the families and the community through outreach to minister to unbelievers and invite them to a relationship with Christ.
- Perform funerals and weddings as needed.
- Preach on Sunday morning as needed.
- Other duties as assigned.
To perform this job successfully, the male candidate must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The qualifications listed below represent the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Further, qualified individuals must be a member of Wellspring or willing to become a member.
- Demonstrates a lifestyle congruent with the biblical requirements for leaders (1 Timothy 3:1-13, 2 Timothy 2, Titus 1:5-9).
- Possesses spiritual maturity and character consistent with the biblical requirements for pastoral leadership and eldership.
- Is known for his love for Christ, the gospel, people, demonstrates the Fruit of the Spirit, continuous growth in his faith and commitment to spiritual disciplines such as Bible reading, prayer and rest.
- Deeply resonates and agrees with the mission, values and doctrinal statement of Wellspring.
The ideal candidate will have a Bachelor's degree (B.A.) in Biblical Studies or related field. In some cases, extensive ministry experience may be substituted. The successful individual will be a strong leader with a solid work ethic, possessing a passion for teaching students about God and the ability to administrate as a department head. A demonstrated working knowledge of creative programming related to student programs and special events is a plus.
Candidates may send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
About this Church
Wellspring Church is a single-site church with an average attendance of 150 (including children) in beautiful Mount Pleasant, a town in southeast Iowa with a population of around 9,000. Starting as a church plant in 2003, Wellspring Church has continued to expand its reach and moved into a new facility in December 2014. The local community features excellent schools, abundant sports and outdoor activities, three coffee shops, Walmart, HyVee and a small town feel that is friendly and inviting. Nearby West Burlington (25 minute drive) has many amenities as well.
Wellspring is affiliated with the Evangelical Free Church of America. We consider our affiliation with the EFCA the best of both worlds. On one hand, we are part of something bigger than ourselves - we are part of the larger Church. On the other hand, we are a self-governing church - free to direct vision and style according to the leading of the Holy Spirit.
When you come to a worship service, you will experience meaningful worship and a biblically-based message that is engaging and relevant. We also believe that creativity and humor have an important place in our gatherings and look to include elements of fun in the Sunday experience (for all ages). We take Jesus seriously, but not ourselves. It is important to us that we are not only a place for our current attenders to grow in their faith, but also a church that reaches the community in which we live through service and outreach.