Sparta Evangelical Free Church is a growing multi-generational church passionate about equipping everyday people to be extraordinary followers of Jesus Christ. We are seeking a full-time pastor of discipleship who will facilitate the connection, discipleship and assimilation of members and new attenders into the life of the church. We are prayerfully seeking someone who is highly relational, gifted in teaching, has a passion for discipleship and has the administrative and technological capability to undergird this calling.
Our leadership team is very collaborative and if you enjoy working with a driven group of men and women hungry to pour into the lives of God’s people in our church body you will thrive here.
Sparta Evangelical Free Church Pastor of Discipleship
Job Description 2023
The pastor of discipleship is a man who shall assist in the pastoral duties while emphasizing the development and oversight of the assimilation of individuals and families into the body of Christ at SEFC. He will be responsible for the discipling and equipping ministries of the church so as to develop believers to serve the Lord with passion according to the spiritual gifts God has given them. He will also oversee the care ministry of the church and provide pastoral oversight for the deacon ministry.
The pastor of discipleship shall be a man with character and integrity that is consistent with God’s Word. His spiritual life, character, demeanor, education, training and attitude must always represent Christ and His church. This takes constant effort through prayer, scriptural study, professional growth, education, training and personal fellowship with the congregation.
- He shall meet the same qualifications as the Senior Pastor (1 Tim. 3:2-7; Titus 1:6-9; 1 Peter 5:2-3)
- He shall be a man with exceptional relational and administrative skills (Ps. 78:72)
- An undergraduate degree related to Biblical Studies or Christian Ministry is preferred along with a graduate degree in Divinity, Theology or its equivalent
A. Pastoral Duties
- Assist in church services
- Assist Senior Pastor with pastoral duties (funerals, weddings, special functions). Occasionally assist in preaching
- Assist in pastoral counseling
- Discipleship and equipping
◦ Create ongoing opportunities to develop relationships with individuals and families in the church with a goal of discipling them toward spiritual maturity.
◦ Develop and oversee assimilation teams for the purpose of encouraging individuals and families to become active in worship, learning and serving in the church body.
◦ Coordinate and oversee the welcome center, greeter and usher ministries.
Organize and oversee the adult discipleship ministry of the church
◦ Curriculum management
◦ Develop and oversee weekly discipleship groups (Life Groups)
◦ Teach a minimum of one small group weekly
◦ Teach, train and encourage additional lay leadership facilitating the birth of additional life groups
◦ Develop and organize a mentor/discipleship program
◦ Organize and promote special events to encourage spiritual growth in church body and community
Oversee, and disciple by equipping individuals to serve in local church ministry through:
◦ Spiritual gifts assessment
◦ Identifying their God-given personality and passions
◦ Ministry placement of membership and regular attendees
B. Care Ministry
- Lead and manage special care-focused ministries (i.e. recovery ministry, grief share, community care ministries, etc.)
- Lead the deacons regarding addressing needs within the church body
- Visit the elderly, sick, hospitalized and those grieving in cooperation with the deacons of the church
C. Reporting and Evaluation
The pastor of discipleship will be accountable to and supervised by senior pastor. The performance evaluation of the pastor of discipleship will be reviewed by the senior pastor and the elder board.
How To Apply
If you are interested in this position, please supply a cover letter and CV and contact: firstname.lastname@example.org or mail to:
Discipleship Search Committee
429 Lafayette Road
Sparta, NJ 07871
About this Church
Sparta Church began in 1995 as a church plant from the humble beginnings of approximately 40 people. Today, we are a church of approximately 650 in live weekly attendance in addition to an active online church community. We are located in a suburban community in northwestern New Jersey, just over an hour from NYC. Our congregation consists of individuals and families from towns within a 30-mile radius. Sparta Church is not under the authority of any denomination but is affiliated with the Evangelical Free Church of America.