To make disciples of our Lord Jesus Christ at Kerkhoven Evangelical Free Church and through outreach to the surrounding community, and to equip lay leadership to do the same.
Qualifications and Competencies:
The Senior Pastor shall be one who trusts Jesus Christ as his Savior and Lord, and who meets the qualifications for overseers and elders as delineated in 1 Timothy 3:1-7 and Titus 1:6-9. He must clearly communicate God's Word, not be ashamed of the gospel and be a person of integrity whose behavior is consistent with his beliefs. He must be willing and able to take initiative. He must be able to set and achieve goals and objectives and manage a budget. He must be competent at public speaking and a capable teacher in large groups, small groups and one to one.
The Senior Pastor shall be accountable to the deacon board. All paid staff work alongside and with the Senior Pastor.
- The Senior Pastor shall be responsible for preaching at church worship services.
- The Senior Pastor shall be responsible for preparing for and conducting wedding and funeral services that are held at the church, and for administering the ordinances of communion and baptism.
- The Senior Pastor shall be responsible for the adult education and discipleship ministries of the church, working with the deacon board to recruit and train leaders for ministries to adults.
- The Senior Pastor shall develop an annual ministry plan, in cooperation with the deacon board and approved by that board, with quantifiable and measurable goals and objectives, which will form the basis for: monthly progress reports; making any necessary modifications, deletions or additions to that plan; and accountability.
- The Senior Pastor shall be responsible for the shepherd care of the congregation, including: coordinating visitation of sick and shut-ins with the deacons and deaconesses; dealing with church discipline issues in cooperation with the deacons; counseling and encouraging individualist spiritual matters; prayer ministry, in cooperation with the deacons.
- The Senior Pastor shall meet weekly with the ministry staff and monthly with the deacon and executive boards.
- The Senior Pastor shall meet regularly with those involved in music and worship to plan and coordinate the worship services.
- The Senior Pastor shall network with the North Central District of the Evangelical Free Church of America and participate and be supportive of NCD activities and ministries.
- In cooperation with the deacon board, the Senior Pastor shall be responsible for developing and maintaining a leadership recruitment and development plan for the church.
- In cooperation with the deacon board, the Senior Pastor shall be responsible for leadership of the church's evangelical outreach to the community; he shall also maintain friendly relationships with local clergy, community leaders and educational leaders and cooperate where appropriate in joint ministry and community service activities.
- The Senior Pastor shall work with the missions committee to facilitate encouragement, prayer, personal contact and financial support of the missionaries supported by the church.
- The Senior Pastor serves as an ex-officio member of all boards and committees.